Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My First Comment!!!

Alright!! So yesterday I put up my very first blog AND I got my very first comment! So quickly and briefly I would like to explain ERF (Extended Rear Facing, in case you missed it) and how it works for me and my family.
When my daughter was still in the traditional car seat for newborns-1 yr/20 lbs I had a couple of great friends who were able to shed some light on the damage that could be done to a young child whose fragile body is not strong enough to withstand a car accident/crash. If you think about it our adult bodies still get pretty banged up from any sort of crash, imagine your baby, toddler, child in that same crash. Your whiplash becomes their spinal cord realignment surgery. Or something horrifically unimaginable. Go to youtube.com and look up a few crash test that are done comparing rear facing and forward facing. 
I have also talked to a friend whose friend was in an accident with her 2 kids, the mother didn't survive, the forward facing 4 year old got pretty banged up and the rear facing 1 year old, slept through the whole thing. Now that is what I want for my baby girl, just sleep though it.
To address my curious commenters questions about how it works with my family, my daughter has never known it any other way. Except for on a plane sitting in my lap. Everywhere I go she has her Radian XTSL with us. She even has one in her dadda's car, I will post some pictures tomorrow, it is too cute seeing her in the front seat (it's an '86 and doesn't have airbags) facing the back window in his car, that is really the only reason I am jealous of his car :) 
As for her legs, her car seat has a low side clearance so she can just swing them over, and she loves pushing them up against the back seat and "bouncing" to the music. She gets so excited! Sometimes she wants to see whats going on in the front seat and will fight momentarily but this never lasts long and she still has her mirror. She can also see out both side windows and the back window, and with her reclined position I think she gets a better view of trees and the sky rather than buildings and cars zooming by, and if she wants to see them, she can just look out one of the side windows.
Lastly i should give the car seat we use some credit because with out them we wouldn't be able to rear-face as long. The Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL is our car seat of choice. It will rear face up to 45 lbs and then will go on to forward face up to 90 lbs, all with the 5-point harness.
I tried to upload a few pictures of my girl in her car seat but am not able to just yet. SO I will add them as comments or post to a blog at a later date. Please let me know if anyone has found this information helpful. I know that car accidents are unlikely, but they are also dangerous. And I don't want my babies caught up with out the right and best protection in one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment