Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cloth BABY!

My cloth history is as follows. When I was pregnant with my first child I was going to breast feed and cloth diaper because no matter how uncomfortable or disgusting either might be I am all about saving money, and I was not about to pour money down a drain that was already clogged with profit. So I bought a boppy and about 20 or so prefolds and a pack or two of the flats. I also bought some of the little plastic pants in various sizes up to a year old. All of which were likely purchased at babies r us and the Gerber brand. Not that anything is wrong with either, but I most certainly did not do my research. After about a day of having my baby girl at home I decided to try the cloth diapers. I was so afraid of sticking her, or myself for that matter, with a clothes pin that I think I only attempted 5 or less cloth diapers. I had no experience, couldn't get it to fit right or stay on for that matter that I decided huggies weren't that expensive for our dual income. But on a happy note, she never once drank an ounce of formula, not even when I had to leave for 17 days. But that's a whole other story.
So she was in huggies, disposables, and the cloth diaper supply was banished to a cabinet. Then, shortly after her 1st birthday a mom at her home daycare and I began talking about her beautiful cloth diapered baby. She had the neatest little designs and colors. I was amazed that these were cloth diapers. Purples, and oranges, and greens, and designs, and characters! And the best part, no pins! They were all fastened with plastic snaps or velcro. So one day a little while later she told me about a sale on babyhalfoff.com (a great place to get great deals). Once a day they have a new product and on this particular day they had Dreameze diapers by GroBaby (now known as GroVia). So I bought 3 for about $10 each. Green, orange and Cream, sadly they were out of the purples and are now discontinued (replaced with a more friendly design, which I have and love). So after buying these diapers I realized there was no point in cloth diapering part time, 1) I will never have a full load of diapers, 2) I don't like to do anything halfway, and 3) I wanted more kids so why not start stocking up now.
So I got on craigslist and began searching, I bought a good amount of used diapers of the next few weeks and months and got some Charlie's Soap for the laundry. Since I've begun cloth diapers I have travelled by plane and in the car with them, and have never really run into a problem that could not be remedied.
Now as you know I work full time, so my routine in the beginning when I only had enough diapers for one day was to come home get her in the bath, start the diapers put her to bed around 7p (which is still her bed time and I LOVE that and hope it never changes) put the diapers in the dryer on low do some cleaning or reading or whatever (at this point my husband was still deployed so I really had NOTHING to do) and then before bed start the dryer again on either low or medium and be ready for the morning.
When I first started out I realized how simple the designs were so I borrowed a sewing machine from a friend, got some supplies and made my own wet bag, a wet bag is a water proof bag that is used for transport those dirty stinky diapers from one place to the washer. I also have attempted making my own diapers a few times but still have not had too much success, still working on it, but since I moved I'm working on getting a sewing machine first :)
So that is the basic history of my cloth diapering experience thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment