Friday, July 25, 2014

Summers Here! Time for some swimsuit DRAMA!

We recently moved to Alaska, I know what you are thinking, "who the heck needs a swim suit in Alaska!?!?" I'm with you, but... The sun came out and warmed us right up!
 
See?!? Look how warm it got! So we threw on our swimsuits and headed to the indoor pool. Score! And by swimsuits I mean my kids threw on their swimsuits from last year and I threw on a sports bra and spandex shorts. Stylin' I know. 

So we enjoyed a few hours of floating, splashing and some good old fashioned water phobia. It. Was. Awesome. Naturally our next stop was a clothing store to get a better fitting swimsuit for my oldest. After minimal discussion with my husband we agreed she will not be rocking the two piece for modesty reasons. I'm her mom, she's five, I can do that. 

But then it got me thinking. And I took to Facebook. 

Of course a few friends and family weighed in, and argued their opinions...I am not posting all of that here but I added a few of them.

Lots of good points were made, but I couldn't justify "two pieces are for adults, one pieces are for little girls" because WHY??? Why are two pieces for adults? Why do we get to flaunt our bodies?


Some said to give her appropriate choices, sure, I like that, but it still begs my question, WHAT ABOUT ME? Tank tops and swim shorts is a good idea for bathroom breaks, but she wasn't exactly interested in any of those anyway. Maybe next year. 


I wish I could've posted more of the comments but was having trouble protecting certain identities. 

Bottom line, what I liked the most was the very first comment I got LEAD BY EXAMPLE. I personally can feel good and honest about telling my daughter NO to drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, tattoos and other LEGALLY subjected things. But I do my best not to say NO because I said so. I like to have a reason for my yes's and my no's.

So, I bought a one piece, actually, my husband bought me one!! My husband once told me one piece swimsuits for adult women were ugly and unflattering so to have him buy me one after I told him my conclusion from all this was to wear a one piece you can imagine the level of swooning I reached over his understanding and support. 

Isn't it beautiful?? 
(It's not the best lighting and it's wrinkled but I still love it!)

Ok so that really wasn't DRAMA...But I am curious, what type of suit do you and your little ones wear and what are your opinions on the matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment